This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Welcome to the North Down parents forum.

Welcome to Bangor Mums!  We are a forum created by parents, for parents.  Our aim is to provide our members with friendship and support.  

We all need activities to keep our little ones busy, this is why we regularly arrange child friendly meet ups and encourage all members to get involved and be a part of our community, online and offline.  Feel free to ask us any questions and please make yourself at home!

Our members are friendly and non-judgemental making it a safe place to air thoughts and concerns.  Give it a try 👭

Click here to register today - it's free!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kirsty

Car seats

8 posts in this topic

Can anyone give me advice on car seats?  What car seats are your little ones in? I've heard there are new regulations being introduced and wondered if anyone knew how it affects existing car seats? Do you think the groups are strict on age/weight etc? :-s confused

Hi Kirsty. My little girl (nearly 3) is in group 1 car seat. I plan on keeping her in that until she reaches the weight or age limit for that group. My little boy (9months today!) is in his first car seat, group 0+. He is over the age and weight limit so technically (and legally) could go into his next car seat (group 1). But I actually don't think he is ready so I'll be keeping him in his group 0+ for a while yet.   Hope this helps? Is there a particular age you are confused about? I think it's always better to be overly safe where car seats are concerned. Maybe it's worth you calling into mothercare and speaking to a member of staff there? They always seem very helpful in there, and it will put your mind at ease that you have the right seats for your children xxx

My kids are similar ages to yours Nicola!  I don't have another car seat for my youngest to go in. My eldest is already 3 so I was thinking to put the youngest in the eldest ones group 1 car seat and getting a higher group one for the eldest. Basically to avoid an extra cost of getting another group 1 car seat when my 3 year old won't be using for much longer anyway. Does this make sense?

The new i-size regulations are being slowly rolled out, I read that they won't be in force until 2018 as they are still being developed. I-size basically means they will be rear facing until they reach at least 13kg in weight (around 15 months).  A child under 15 months old hasn't got a strong enough neck to cope with a head on car accident.  They should be rear facing as long as possible!

I'm a bit of a paranoid researcher when it comes to car seats. Lola was in her rear facing car seat until 13 months old, it was a group 0 from a travel system. Her legs were hanging over the edge but that's ok and they are still perfectly safe. The main thing is that as long as their head isn't over the top of the seat you're good to go.   I just left it in the car and put lola in the pushchair, as she was too heavy to carry about in the car seat.

If I were you I'd go for a group 1-2-3 (9 months to 12) with a 5 point harness built in.  Once they are 4 years old you can take the 5 point harness off and just use the seat belt. I wouldn't get a group 2 without a 5 point harness, as a 3 year old is too wriggly to ensure the seat belt is safely in the right place constantly, and you can buy a group 1-2-3 for around the same price anyway. Hope this helps!

2 people like this

I already have a group 1 car seat for Lewis when I think he's ready. There is still a good few cm's of chair above his head (in his group 0+) and as I said, I just don't feel he's ready for the group 1 seat yet.

good point about getting a 1-2-3 seat as it will save you buying another seat when your child gets to 4.  Wish I'd have done that lol xxx

I wish I'd bought a group 1-2-3 as well lol. Mine just goes up to 4 years too.

I've never seen an advertisement in a paper before about car seat law in Northern Ireland, so thought I'd post this (this was in the spring 2016 NI4KIDS paper).

56dfe162db4eb_2016-03-0908.34.02.thumb.j

56dfe17d98feb_2016-03-0908.33.40.thumb.j

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0